Athonet’s mobile core has been built on the vision that only a highly efficient and effective software-based solution can unleash the full capability of LTE and UMTS networks. Athonet’s differentiation and advantage arises because we have replaced all the expensive, proprietary, hardware centric capex of traditional mobile core solutions with a 100% software based solution that runs on standard off the shelf servers or in a virtualized environment. This allows operators to break-out of the restrictive architecture of legacy solutions and embrace the true potential of LTE and 5G such as highly distributed networks and Mobile Edge Computing. Athonet’s platform was first deployed in 2010 in a fully virtualized environment.
Our platform is a fully complete 4.5G – 5G mobile core that implements broad mobile network functionality including MME, PGW, SGW, PCRF and HSS. Our mobile core also provides 3G UMTS support. Coupled with Athonet’s VoLTE, eMBMS and WiFi solutions this provides customers with a truly complete mobile core software solution that can run on native and virtualized environments.
Our VoLTE solution, provided in conjunction with our EPC, enables customers to maximize the power of LTE services for both voice and data. It is an IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) solution for Voice and Video over LTE (VoLTE) that implements the Call Session Control Function (CSCF) components (P-CSCF, I-CSCF, and S-CSCF), Session Border Controller (SBC) and Telecommunication Application Server (TAS) functions.
The key attractions of Athonet’s mobile core include:
- Massive capex reductions as it removes the need for centralised proprietary hardware
- Distributed or “Cloud” based network solution that guarantees high service levels: reliability, performance and security
- Highly scalable to cater for small and large operator deployments
- Distributed architecture enables greater performance and backhaul cost reduction – the possibility to deploy distributed mobile cores radically changes the network paradigm
- Reduced CAPEX & OPEX: uses standard IT servers and multi-vendor base-stations
- Network Slicing: capacity can be shared between “best effort” non-guaranteed Internet access (e.g. plain consumer) and private mission-critical traffic (smartcity, transport, public safety, airport/port, hospital etc.)
- Prioritized and fully controlled Quality of Service and policies
- Mobile Edge Computing: the ability to run a highly distributed architecture allows new services from mobile edge computing
- Our pure software solution can be deployed “Over-the-Top” of existing architectures allowing “light touch” network deployments to allow new innovative services or “islands of connectivity” to be implemented with no disruption to existing services